If you’re trying to get your kid to put down the video games and join you outside for some exercise, then consider inviting the family out for an afternoon of paddleboarding. There’s nothing better than spending time on the water, soaking up some sun and working up a sweat. As you know, the right gear can make or break an outdoor adventure, so it’s important to make sure that everyone has the right equipment. Here are some of the best kids paddle boards on the market.
Choosing the Right Kids Stand Up Paddle Board
Paddleboarding is an activity that doesn’t necessarily require a lot of training or practice, so it might be tempting to think that the equipment doesn’t matter. But no matter what kind of paddleboarding you plan on doing—racing, ocean boarding, yoga paddleboarding or simply gliding about the lake for some standup boarding – the board you use makes a difference.
Different boards are made to handle different types of water and different weights and heights. The shape of the board is also dictated by the type of paddling you plan to do. Many youth paddle boards are made for all-around paddling – good for any condition and style of boarding. In adult boards, the hull of the board is slightly more curved in a board meant for surfing in order to catch the water more effectively, but children generally aren’t chasing huge waves just yet so their boards are pretty uniform in shape.
It might go without saying, but it’s important to have the right gear when you’re dealing with deep water. Any sport has its dangers, and while paddleboarding is a relatively safe activity, it’s not wise to mess around when it comes to safety. Getting a paddleboard with the appropriate leash length and construction is also important to consider when buying a paddle board for kids.
The last thing you want is for your child to fall off the board, only to rise back to the surface to find their board disappearing from them. The leash keeps your board secure, but it also keeps your child secured to the device that’s keeping them above water! A quality board should have a quality leash.
Kids Paddle Board vs. Adult Board
You might have a quality adult board that you’re tempted to allow your children to use, but most children need a board built for their size. If your child is of adult height and weight, and exceptionally athletic for his or her age then they might be fine with a high performance, narrow, light-weight race board but the average child boarder will need their own equipment.
Common Features of a Youth Paddle Board
- Narrower, lighter and built for a lighter rider, which affects the way the board will handle waves.
- Most kid boards are between 6 feet and 8 feet long and no wider than 25-28 inches.
- Some kid boards have a foam tip, which changes the weight of the board and how easy the board will be to maneuver in the water.
- Often kids develop a better stroke when they are consistently paddling on a board build for their size. In order to foster good, safe technique it might be best to stick with a kid paddle board.
Best Kids Stand Up Paddle Board
- Board size: 7' x 30" x 6"/213 x 76 x 15 cm
- For Paddlers 30 to 120 lbs. (14 - 55 kg)
- 4 fixed thruster fins (nothing to lose), (2 x 3", 2 x 4 3/4")
- DL technology: our Double Layer technology is an inflatable construction for heavy-duty usage. Stiffness and performance is guaranteed, as the Double Layer HD technology can take more than 25 PSI of...
- Removable Center fin, no tools needed. Floating and detachable easily into three pieces for convenient storage and transportation.
- Diamond grooving EVA pad on top. High pressure value is designed to be with drop stitch construction, with protective mesh.
- Soft Construction Kids Stand Up Paddleboard, strong EPS core with 3 stringer system, complimentary under deck traction pad, accessory strap, molded mid board grip handle, molded leash plug with...
- Rigid: It feels very similar to a hard board (can be inflated up to 15 PSI)
- Durable: PVC material and drop-stitch construction, max recommended weight 154lbs.
- Portable: Easy to store and transport. It is 8'7" x 26" x 4" inflated, comes with carry bag
- The Stage J8 junior iSUP inflatable stand-up Paddleboard is perfect for kids to enjoy. The shorter 8ft size allows easy maneuvering for our younger friends
- This board comes equipped with two metal D tie downs, located at the tip and tail of the board, for securing loose belongings and extra hauling, along with an additional 4-point bungee system
- The J8 junior iSUP is also equipped with diamond patterned EVA non-slip grip mat to help ensure better grip while in the water
- Junior-sized inflatable standup paddle board for small adults (recommended weight limit is 120lbs)
- Very durable military-grade PVC paddle board inflates to 8'x30x4", just as rigid & stable as traditional SUP, perfect for calm waters
- Rolls up into a tight, compact package for simple transporting & simpler storage