A comprehensive review of the Sun Dolphin Excursion Kayak and its performance abilities
The Sun Dolphin fishing kayak (excursion 10 kayak) is one of the more popular sit-in beginner kayaks on the market, and the best part about these boats is the fact that they’re super affordable when compared to the performance they bring to the table.
Had the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 Review been alive and well 10 year ago, we’d probably be here reporting on the great fun we had back then, and we’d still be advising potential buyers on just taking the plunge and investing in one of these kayaks.
In this post we’ll be sharing our thoughts with you regarding this kayak, and we’ll be showing you how it measures up to others in its class as well, hopefully giving you a comprehensive guide which should help you make the most informed decision before you make that very final purchase.
What to Consider Before Buying a Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 Kayak
Most folks that try out the kayaking game are stuck with the choice between a sit-in and a sit-on-top kayak, and with the price difference being so vast between the 2 different options, it’s kind of important to make the right decision straight off the bat.
The Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 kayak is a sit-in boat, and it’s ideal for beginner kayakers, plus it’s very affordable as well. This means that the Excursion 10 might not be the best fit for you if you’re an experienced paddler, but it may be great for that guy you know who can’t afford to blow his budget just for the sake of trying out a new sport.
Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 Review
The Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 comes out in an olive-green color as a norm, but it’s also available in a sand-colored version. Made from high-density polyethylene materials, this kayak is durable and sturdy, and since it measures in at 10 feet long and 30 inches wide, it’s big and roomy enough to create optimal interior space for added comfort.
This kayak was made with average Joe’s in mind, so if you weigh around 150 pounds, you’ll have plenty of maneuvering room inside the kayak, plus you’ll also have enough space to store essential gear on board with you. If you’re a bigger fella though, it might not be your ideal fit.
Pros of the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10:
- Performs really well on short trips out
- Very stable
- Tracks very good
- Since its small, it may be able to it into the back of a car for traveling purposes
- It won’t tip over easily
- It has an adjustable footrest, which is good for shorter paddlers
Cons of the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10:
- The paddle that’s issued with the kayak isn’t great at all
- The rod holder placement sits behind the kayak, which may be a pain in the behind
- The seat bottom doesn’t have padding, which can be uncomfortable in the long run
Features and Benefits of the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 Kayak
- To kick things off with, the Excursion 10 has handles at both ends of the vessel, ensuring that you’ll have excellent grip, but it also has a front scupper hole where water can drain out once you’re done paddling for the day.
- The kayak has a water bottle holder, which is pretty standard, but it also has a swivel fishing rod holder, making it ideal to keep your fishing rods in place while you paddle, as long as you don’t have a smaller rod because it might wiggle around somewhat.
- For folks that carry around a little extra weight, there’s the welcome relief of some thigh pads featured on the seats, which may help you sit a little more comfortable during your expedition.
- The seat has a secret storage area which simply unscrews and goes in a lot deeper than one would expect, making it the ideal space for storing those pieces of essential gear you need to keep close at hand.
- Both seats are fitted with rear flush-mount rod holders that are standard in the kayaking world.
- Furthermore the Excursion 10 comes with a portable accessory carrier at its back-end, which also makes up almost the entire rear end of the kayak.
Alternatives to the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 Kayak
While we love the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10’s attributes and performance abilities, we totally get that it may not be everyone’s ideal choice. That’s why we’re going to provide you with some alternatives. The following kayaks offer more or less the same value you can expect to find from the Excursion 10, but they differ in quite a few ways. Check them out…
Lifetime 10 Sport Fisher Tandem
- This hard shell kayak measures in at 10 feet long, but has a higher total weight than the Excursion 10, weighing in at 500 pounds.
- It scored an overall 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon
- But it’s also a lot pricier than the Excursion 10, still, you can learn more about it here.
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
- The polyethylene Ocean Kayak Prowler is a little lighter than the above mentioned kayak, coming in at a total weight of 475 pounds.
- Its overall length of 13 feet ensures that there’s more room inside the kayak and that it will make for a more comfortable ride in the long run.
- It’s one of the most expensive kayaks in its class, but you can learn more about it by following this link.
Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor
- Another alternative to the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 is the 10-feet polyethylene Old Town Canoes & Kayaks’ Vapor.
- The Vapor is more affordable than the two other alternatives, and scored an overall Amazon rating of 4 out of 5 stars in its user reviews.
- It weighs in at 325 pounds, making it a very lightweight option. Check out this link for more details.
As you can see, the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 is one of the best beginner’s kayaks currently on the market because it offers the perfect balance between price, performance, and reliability. You can take a look at its performance by watching the YouTube video below.